Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Kota Kinabalu City + Mount Kinabalu climbing

Mount climbing... to the top of Malaysia has been in my mind since a few years ago. About 5 years ago, I thought of going with a group of my close friends but there were always excuses. As I grow up, I have learned that I should do it while I can, or I might missed it forever. I really have to thank my University classmate, Bee Hui who invite me to the trip. RM 735 3 days 2 nights including food and accommodation. I also invited Jaycee so that we can train together.

12 Jan
We go there early because flight is cheaper and we can walk around the city. For the first time living in backpackers lodge, it is above expectation. I can consider being a backpacker next time instead of spending a lot on hotel. We went to traveller's light backpacker lodge, then went for our dinner. We asked the taxi driver about nearby recommended food. and we ended up going all places introduced. cun! The restaurant even print T shirt of itself!  The area is not too big as we were able to walk to the below destination:
The restaurant we had our economy rice. Well known for bread 
seaside... jetty nearby, clean sea


salted fish monger society
there are a group of male tailors near the market 
my dinner... no. 1. Then only know Tuaran is a place. tot of something else
tried the kuih. Not bad.



 
seafood@pasar. it's wow! cooked and waited to be reheat and eaten

The first day is fun. Just that the night come so early and we actually have nothing much to do at night. We chit chat at the lounge, watching despicable me 2 and had our free-flow self-made coffee and tea. 

13 Jan
The breakfast is included in the hotel but only bread. We had our lunch early and waited to transport to Kinabalu Park. Also bought Toto as my friend Jaycee seems to be very lucky recently.

It tooks about 2 hours from city to the park. We live at Grace Hostel... 3 bunk beds for 6 people. The food in Balsam Restaurant is buffet basis and it is good ^.^



laksa as lunch..
2nd round lunch
Our accomodation at Kinabalu Park. It's cool~ 

there's fire place in the hostel too! 












14 Jan 
Getting up early in the morning 6 something, check out, leave our luggage there (rm 10 per piece), register and get our tag, rent a trekking pole (RM10 each). About 8.30am start hiking.

selamat mendaki

our name tag













there are 6km to Laban Rata. I actually took a picture every 0.5km. On the way, I met Jaycee and we shared things in my bag as her bag with porter. Mutual relationship is that I provide food and drinks and she helps reduce my burden? hahaha. Along the way, the views is breathtaking, well the exercise and altitude itself is "breathtaking". Jaycee and I took 5 hours and reach at 1.30pm. We take a nap there and waiting for dinner served from 4.30pm to 7.30pm.
1km



Carson fall we seen at the beginning of hike



I like this very much. 
It started to rain btw 3.5 to 4km




steep and wet
quite shocked because it's flat and steep but rough





Laban Rata


15 Jan
Wake up 2am, supper and get ready to conquer the peak. Yet, stopped by the gate. Wait for the gate to open till 3.00am, and walked down to Laban Rata again. Well, it's raining and the gate remaining closed because it's too dangerous as the water current is strong. Feel disappointed but nothing much can do. I must admit that's fate and safety comes first. Went back to sleep, and went down. It took us 3.5hours to reach Timpohon Gate. Although I felt disappointed for not reaching the peak. I am really proud of myself for being able to do it with a good time record. After all, it's my 1st time trying. There's still chances. 3 of my friends rushing for flight, while my Jaycee and I head to KK hotel.... personal bathroom! we took a nice bath then went to Little Italy for our dinner. It's quite famous there so we decided to have a try, perhaps a reward for ourselves. Thanks Jaycee for belanja! We had, pasta, pizza, soup, bread, tiramisu... as a conclusion... super full! After that, we went to Suria Sabah for shopping, each of us get 2 clothes, then we went to buy movie tickets, spent some time playing games in Leisure world. We watched Mandela, long walk to freedom. I was a good and inspiring movie. Really touched by his scarification and unconditional love to the people. Wanted to sing K but not enough time. Well, we still have energy to do so as the muscle pain effect comes later. hahaha


 16 Jan
 Afternoon flight back to KL.... spend our time on food hunting and buy souvenirs for friends.
fried durian
san yuk mian~






kuching laksa
Jaycee on stranger's boat
















There was a boat nearby loading goods. It was very kind of them to allow my friend on board for photo taking.they also offer a boat ride but we refused. I somehow feel suspicious as it's not safe to do so in Malaysia? Overall, we fully utilised our time in KK and had a nice trip. Although there are disappointment and upset, there are also excitement and amusement. I'm glad that I had come and I will be back for more activities next time. Target for the peak of Mount Kinabalu,  Padas river White water rafting, Sipadan diving, Island hopping, see rafflesia and the Proboscis Monkey!

2 comments:

  1. I feel quite disappointed for you guys as u guys just so near to the peak.
    We couldnt expect what is coming next, but as long as we just did our best, it is better than never do anything.
    1 more thing, i feel jaycee selfie face is so dam scary LOL not first pic i saw already hahah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cm, sampai sini pun mau lawan ka?? I'm not photogenic and also I'm not good in photo taking. :)
    Yen, you provided lots more info than me.. :) I forgot some details as well.. Hahaha.. But it was a great trip with you, despite that we almost fight. :) Our new rules, nothing more than 5 days.. Hahaha..

    Cheerio!

    ReplyDelete